Monday, January 26, 2009

WHAT IS SPIRITUALITY?

By Shirley M. Carolan, ATM-G

Over the years I’ve searched for an appropriate definition of spirituality vs. religion. I’ve read many articles on this subject all using different verbiage to explain or enlighten.

Since I consider myself a spiritual person vs. a religious one, I wanted to be sure I knew and understood the difference. I found that by labeling myself as a certain religious faith/believer, e.g. Roman Catholic, I was limiting myself, like calling myself a naturalized American citizen, or an inspirational speaker-writer, still life artist, or even a senior citizen! For I find I am much more than those labels can define me. I am not separate from the rest of humanity, or an island unto myself. Rather, I am connected to every single thing and being on this beautiful planet Earth.

Today, I came across a wonderful description of spirituality vs. religion by Dr. Joan Borysenko, one of my favorite, cutting edge authors and I’d like to share it with you now:

“It is important to distinguish religion from spirituality since while they may overlap it's entirely possible to be spiritual without being religious and vice versa.

Spirituality is a commitment to a life of depth and compassion that connects each of us to a larger whole. It is predicated on the development of a contemplative life in the classic sense of contemplation: an open and curious examination of experience as it unfolds, moment by moment. This is also called Presence, and it is the basis of an awakened life based on guidance from the Source, in service to the highest good.

Our personal spiritual development must ultimately serve others for it to be an authentic unfolding of the heart of spirit in action.”

Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Artist ● Speaker ● Writer
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2008 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is a lovely site full of light and joy and a common sense approach to spirituality and life in general.

If you would like to read stories about the angels please visit http://heatherangelsrus.blogspot.com

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home