Wednesday, May 28, 2008

“RE-INVESTING IN YOURSELF”


By Shirley M. Carolan

Do you re-invest in yourself? Do you keep up with new trends in the marketplace, hobbies, books, education, cultural events, etc? Regardless of my age, I’ve found that re-investing in myself pays dividends! It keeps me young, interesting to others, and makes life much more enjoyable.

Last week I turned 75 but I don’t feel it or even think that I am that age. It would be more accurate to say that I’m 75 going on 39, a la Jack Benny.

When I worked full time I made it a point to re-invest 10-20% of my income in my on-going education and self development. I attended seminars, workshops, bought books, records, albums and joined various organizations related to either my work or my hobbies. Consequently, re-investing in myself became a way of life. For example, I joined Toastmasters International in 1981 and am active in my club today! I’ve enjoyed mentoring both men and women and formed satisfying, personal relationships.

When I was 16 years old I represented my high school, Queen of the Rosary Academy, Amityville, New York, in the Long Island Oratorical Championships. Perhaps that is why Toastmasters is a natural for me today. And, in 1994, I made my professional stage debut in the British comedy “It Runs in the Family” by Ray Cooney at the Alterena Playhouse, Alameda, CA. I always loved English, spoken and written and had a passion for words at an early age. Today, I use that passion in writing articles and press releases for both Toastmasters and the Carlsbad Oceanside Art League!

Today, I enjoy oil painting, having taken lessons these last 7 years from Stephanie Travers of San Diego, and now exhibit my paintings at the Carlsbad Oceanside Art League. I could go on with many more examples but I think you get the message.

This is the best time to be retired, semi-retired, a senior citizen, baby boomer, or whatever age group you are in. There are so many opportunities for seniors to continue learning and enjoying life. I make use all of the following: Adult Ed classes, Community College extension classes, the library, Hewlett Packard on-line classes (particularly the Digital Camera class), Senior Centers, Learning Annex, webinars, Blogs, seminars, workshops, books, CDs, Amazon.com, hobby groups, self development groups, etc.

If you are not taking advantage of all the wonderful opportunities out there you are missing the best part of life! Start re-investing in your happiness and growth today!


Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Artist ● Speaker ● Writer
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2008 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Clarke said...

Given your passion for the written word, may I invite you to visit my blog at http://threeswans.blogspot.com and read the posts on writing. Your comments would be interesting. I would also be highly interested to hear your response to the book I wrote, "Outcasts Of Skagaray" which arose from concern about the abandoned children of the world.
Over to you. It is interesting to read your posts. For a free preview of the novel, please go to www.threeswans.com.au and check the sample chapters. Whatever happens, I wish you well.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home